Also built by Alco, and incorporating many "lessons learned"
and design features of the earlier, highly successful J2's, numbers
570 - 579 went into service during the summer of 1942. These ten
were classed J3-57, and were very quickly called a "Yellow
Jacket," as they possessed a semi-stream style fairing over
the drivers painted with a broad yellow band that extended along
the sides of the tender.
They were quickly followed by ten more in 1943 and 1944, numbers
580 - 589. These ten came minus the semi-stream fairing and
broad yellow band. This being viewed as too plain, they received
a narrow yellow stripe from the pilot, along the running board,
to the sides of the tender. This earned them the "Stripe"
Equipped with roller bearings on all axles, cast steel
frames, and enormous capacity 6-wheel truck tenders, these locomotives
were workhorses during World War II. They served between Nashville
and Atlanta during World War II, with their territory extended west
to Memphis after the war.